Nip and Tuck

Top:  BDG Oxford Boyfriend Shirt via Urban Outfitters here
Shorts:  H&M black dress shorts (old)
Wedges:  Tahari Taylor Raffia Wedge Sandal here

I used to think that tucking in a standard oxford shirt was a frustrating experience.  Many of the current styles in stores are a wider, boyfriend fit like this darling polka dotted one that I found at Urban Outfitters yesterday.  This shirt looks like something you would find at JCrew or Madewell, but it's only $39!  The only problem is that these boyfriend fit shirts never seemed to sit quite right tucked in (they would always seem way too baggy on the sides) until my amazing boyfriend showed me a neat trick.  I am probably just late to the game, but I thought I would share in case it is new to you too!  

Here are the steps:
Place your right hand in the middle of your back as a guide to where you will fold.  Take your left hand, gently pull the fabric out to the side and then across your back (over your right hand) until your shirt feels snug around your waist.


Carefully tuck your shirt into your pants, keeping the folded fabric taut.  Et voila - a simple way to make your oxford shirt look fitted without actually having it tailored.  The photo below on the right shows the tidy result.


I hope that made sense and was helpful!  Please forgive the photo quality as well...whenever my photographer (aka boyfriend) is busy working, I am left to my own devices with the camera timer and the results are only so-so.

What other neat tricks do you use to make your clothes fit better without spending your extra cash on tailoring?

Popular Posts