Wine Wednesday: Baron des Chartrons 2009 Bordeaux





I have a confession to make: I love going to the grocery store and picking out random wines under the $10 pricepoint.  I decided to start a new series about these sub-$10 wines, and call them "Wine Wednesdays."  How did this idea start?  My dear friend Alex asked recently why I don't blog about wine, and I really didn't have a good answer.  I enjoy drinking wine, have been posting my sub-$10 pics to Instagram for a while now, and decided to turn it into a full-blown series with details around the different blends that I try.  I am working on being able to distinguish different aromas and flavors, but I am definitely not an expert yet.  My goal will be to post a new "Wine Wednesday" feature twice per month, and I hope you enjoy this series!

My first bottle up for review is a Baron des Chartrons 2009 bordeaux.  Bordeauxs are my favorite blend, so this seemed like a great bottle to start with.  It is 60% merlot and 40% cabernet sauvignon, and was purchased at my local QFC for $9.99. 

Tasting notes: this bordeaux is very easy to drink.  Initial sniff is sweet with vanilla notes.  The first sip is fruit-forward with distinct cherry and black currant flavors.  This blend has a little bit of spice and a nice lingering finish.  It's not overly complex, but it is very approachable and easy to drink with great fruit flavors and soft tannins.  I think this bordeaux pairs well with food - I snacked on a baguette, hard salami, and squares of Sartori Merlot Bellavitano cheese.  Bellavitano is a cow's milk cheese with the fruitiness of well-aged parmesan and smooth nuttiness of cheddar, and it's soaked in merlot.  Delicious!  Bordeauxs pair well with rich meat dishes like beef, duck, and lamb, as well as stronger cheeses like brie or camembert.  This particular wine was not on Wine Spectator, but one site I found said that it received 89 points.  I can't verify that, but I will say that I think the Baron des Chratrons is a great value and I would drink it again.

I hope your week is going well so far, and thank you for reading!

Popular Posts