Homemade: Cast Iron Baked Salmon & Vegetables

 It has been a while since I posted a homemade recipe, and today I want to share with you an example of a simple dinner of salmon and vegetables that I made the other night in my 13" Lodge cast iron pan.  I love cooking meals in my cast iron pan, because it cooks food evenly, especially when used in the oven.  You can check out the exact same pan that I have at Amazon here.  It's under $40!  The finished product looks like this:


Now that you've seen the photo, here are the super easy steps.  First, you make a light sauce.  I used the following ingredients: olive oil, capers, lemon juice, fresh ground pepper, onion salt, and fennel salt.  Combine two tablespoons of lemon juice, one tablespoon of olive oil, one tablespoon of drained capers, one teaspoon of onion salt (finely chopped fresh onion would also be great), pinch of fennel salt (regular salt is just fine too) and fresh ground pepper in a small bowl and whisk together.


 Arrange your vegetables in the cast iron pan and give them a light coating of olive oil.  I used chinese broccoli, because that's what I had on hand, but this would work equally well with asparagus!


Sprinkle salt and pepper on the salmon and lay the pieces on top of the vegetables.  You can cook two to four pieces of salmon in a 13" pan, just make sure they aren't crowded.


Pour the sauce evenly over the salmon and vegetables in the cast iron pan, put the whole thing in the oven and bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.  Super easy, right?


After only 20 minutes, the result is perfectly baked, tender, and flavorful salmon and vegetables.  I served with white rice as well.  What I love about this cooking method is that the cast iron pan gives the vegetables a wonderful crispiness on the edges of the leaves!


I hope this inspires you to try cooking your favorite fish and vegetables in a cast iron pan!  Thanks so much for reading!

Popular Posts