Homemade: Egg Muffins Round 2

I hope you are having a fantastic weekend!  Back in June, I first posted a recipe for a tasty breakfast treat that I found through the lovely Grace of Fashion Edible.  The recipe is for little egg muffins that are easily baked in a muffin pan, and you can check out my original post here: Homemade: Egg Muffins.  I remade the recipe earlier this week, but instead of using bread crumbs for the first layer I made a crust out of mashed tater tots.  I received a request to post the recipe after I put a pic on Instagram & Twitter, so please check out the revised recipe below!



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Take about half a bag of thawed tater tots (or shredded hashbrowns would work well too!), and mash them up evenly in a bowl.  You can add a bit of salt and pepper to the mix as well.  Press the mashed tater tots evenly into the bottom of greased muffin cups.  Make sure you press them up the sides to make a nice shell for the egg later.  Bake for 15-18 minutes until they are nicely brown.

While the potato crust is baking, beat 5-6 eggs in a bowl and add your veggies of choice.  For this round, I used approximately 1/4 cup chopped jalapeno, 1/2 cup of chopped red onion, 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, a couple of teaspoons of chopped cilantro, a generous splash of milk, salt, and pepper.
Pour this mixture into the potato crusts and bake for another 15 minutes or until the egg is cooked.  I let them sit for another 10 minutes or so before I popped them out of the muffin pan.  Super easy, right?  My boyfriend and I ate these for breakfast all week!

I have also seen recipes for eggs in hash brown nests where you would bake the crust just as I described, but instead of beating the eggs you can just crack one over each muffin cup and bake until the egg whites and yolks are cooked.  I hope this inspires you to try baking your own version of these tasty breakfast treats, and thanks so much for reading.  =)

Popular Posts