Restaurant Review: Trove, Seattle, WA

I mentioned last weekend that my boyfriend and I have a hard time keeping up with restaurant openings and closings in Seattle, and that I'm trying to be better about blogging our restaurant visits.  Today, I am excited to tell you about a brand new Korean BBQ restaurant called Trove in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle.  Trove is owned by husband-wife team Rachel Yang and Seif Chirchi, the team behind established restaurants Joule and Revel in our Fremont neighborhood.  A KBBQ restaurant is something that downtown Seattle has been missing, so we were very excited to try this new place last weekend when we had a dear friend in town.  In addition to KBBQ, Trove also has a noodle bar, a full bar that also serves the noodle dishes, and a walk up ice cream truck window.  It's four places in one!  Please read on for photos and details of our meal.


When we arrived shortly after 7pm last Saturday evening, we were told there would be a forty minute wait.  No big deal, we put our name in and headed to the bar for a drink.  The bar also serves noodles, and had I known that the back KBBQ section didn't serve the noodle menu I would have ordered a dish while we were waiting for our table.  The noodles looked really good, so next time I'll definitely try them out.


My handsome dates for the evening!  I'm a bit biased, but I definitely had the best looking table of the night.  We hung out at the bar for about an hour and a half before our table was ready, which was almost twice the initial wait time we were given.  Because this restaurant is new, I'm attributing the incorrect wait time to ramp up, and I'm sure they will get their turn times figured out soon.


 We were starving by the time we finally got our table, so I quickly ordered some appetizers to hold us over until the meat arrived.  This is octopus with white bean, kale, and miso.  The flavors were fantastic - I wish the dish had been larger!


The second appetizer we ordered: swiss chard with hazelnut pesto.  I loved this dish and almost ordered a second.  At the existing appetizer size, it's a few decent bites each for two people, or one good sized bite each for four people.  I also ordered a pork belly appetizer, but that dish disappeared faster than I could get a photo!


Unlike other Korean BBQ restaurants, Trove does charge separately for your banchan and rice.  Banchan (on the left) is $6 each and contains kimchi, pickled and preserved vegetablesThey also have ssam (on the right) with lettuce, herbs, and daikon for $3.  Rice is an additional $2 per bowl.


Now we get to the meat.  At Trove, you can order separate plates of meat or you can order a "meat tower." Because there were four of us, we ordered the "baller tower" that has every kind of meat available.  This included four types of beef, four types of pork, shrimp, veggies, and mushrooms.  The beef selection included hangar steak with bean paste, wagyu chuck tail with garlic smear, grass fed coulotte with chipotle salt, and fatty brisket. The pork selection included coppa with sweet chili,
pork belly with sesame salt, short rib with mustard maple, and pork loin in kasu.


Our "baller tower" also included a second set of trays with white gulf shrimp, shitake mushrooms with garam masala, eggplant with miso cumin, and chinese broccoli with smoked chili.


Each table has a gas grill typical of kbbq restaurants, but one interesting difference was that the wait staff offered to swap out our metal grill several times.  I didn't think it was necessary, but I understand the staff wanting to keep the look clean and the amount of smoke from the grills to a minimum in the space.  Overall the grills were hot and effective, and we had lots of tasty meats to share.


For dessert, Trove has a selection of parfaits served in mason jars.  You can also walk up to the "ice cream truck" window at the entrance and directly order parfaits.  We tried both the "old school" and "new school" snickers parfaits.  The "new school" snickers parfait contained black sesame cake, miso caramel, and candied peanuts.  The "old school" snickers parfair contained peanut butter nougat, caramel peanut, and dark chocolate sauce.  Both were a delicious end to our meal, and I couldn't pick a favorite between the two.

I hope you enjoyed these photos and descriptions of our meal at Trove!  It's so exciting to have a Korean BBQ restaurant close by, because there are times that we will pay the extra $$ to eat a few minutes from home rather than drive 30+ minutes outside the city for our KBBQ fix.  If you'd like to read more about Trove, their website is: http://www.troveseattle.com/home.  Thank you for visiting my blog today, and I hope you have a great weekend!

Popular Posts