Travel Log: Shanghai in June

I hope you had a great 4th of July, and hopefully you are enjoying a relaxing long weekend!  My boyfriend and I escaped out of town for the weekend, and if you follow me on Instagram you'll get a peek at what we are up to.  =)

Today I want to share with you some photos from my recent work trip to Shanghai!  This was my first time visiting mainland China, and although we were very busy in the office the full week, we did get out to see a bit of the city a couple of evenings.  Below is a pic from the Yu Garden, which is a large market full of shops and restaurants!  It is so pretty at night with all of the lights.


Next up is the view from my hotel room on the 48th floor of the Renaissance Zhongshan Park. The air quality was "good" during my visit, but there was still a thick haze over the city.


 You can really see the haze in this sunset photo!


Here is a fun picture of several denominations of Chinese currency, called renminbi or yuan.  It is all colorful, but with the same image of Chairman Mao Zedong, China's leader from 1945-1976.


My team went out for dinner one evening with the sole intention of eating roast goose.  Roast goose is a dish that Shanghai is famous for, and we had it carved tableside - so fancy!  A good roast goose has crispy skin, a nice amount of juicy fat, and tender meat.


The roast goose slices were served with thin pancakes, hoisin sauce, cucumber, carrot, and onion to make little tasty wraps.  YUM!


  One evening after work, my coworker and I walked out to the Bund to take photos.  The Bund is an area along the Huangpu River in central Shanghai made up of old European buildings on one side, and modern buildings on the other side.  Here are some views of the modern side including the Pearl Tower on the left, a radio/TV tower and an iconic piece of the Shanghai skyline.




Here I am posing in front of a wall of flowers on the Bund, it's a popular spot for photos and is also very pretty when all lit up at night!


One of the streets near the Bund that we walked through to get back to the Subway - you can get an idea of the hustle and bustle of the city at night!


I don't remember the name of this dessert, but it was so delicious!  The outside is toasted sweet bread, the inside is made up of soft spongy squares of the same sweet bread with ice cream and chocolate on top.  Three of us shared this dessert and demolished it.  ;)


Our last evening in Shanghai, I had the opportunity to dine with my team at a restaurant called New Heights on the Bund.  Even though the sky is hazy, there was still a great view!  On the left are the old European buildings that used to be banks and trade centers, and across the river on the right are the modern buildings including the Pearl Tower.



One last evening shot with my Seattle teammate and the lit skyline!


I hope you enjoyed these photos of Shanghai.  Businesses are growing so fast in China, and it is so exciting to be a part of this booming growth and get to see a bit of this exciting city!  The downtown area is huge, and I hope to be able to explore more on my next trip.  Thanks so much for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts